Monday, May 3, 2010

My Own Personal Food Mentor

(Okay, baby is teething badly this week which makes it difficult for me to get much of anything done so the posts this week will probably be shorter than usual).

So, what did you do this weekend? Me... oh I went to a little food show called the Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining Show. And I went there with only one purpose, to see the man I call my own personal food mentor... Mario Batali. Seriously, the man in the orange crocs has no idea I even exist but his philosophy of food has seriously impacted my philosophy... it's all about simplicity, fresh food, and flavor. Oh yeah, and he is really funny too.

While we were there, Brian used my phone to take some photos (so not the best quality, but not bad).


One of the surprises of the afternoon was that we got to see a demonstration from Chef Kevin Gillespie. In case you don't know who he is, he was a finalist on Top Chef last season AND he is on the premiere chefs in Atlanta. I love that man and am looking forward to a meal at his restaurant - Woodfire Grill.

Here is a picture of Mario with cavolo nero (aka kale in English). He was so convincingly singing the praises of kale that I may have to see if I can find it at the farmer's market (although I think it's a winter vegetable... but there might still be some around).

He cooked for us a super easy and yummy looking kale dish, pizza, and pasta all'amatriciana. We also got a signed copy of his newest cookbook so I'm sure there will be some recipes from there being made in the Castrucci household.

In the meantime, it's Monday, it's raining in Atlanta, and I'm stuck in the house with a teething baby. A cute teething baby... but still teething. I've already stopped talking to him twice today. This can't be good. And, oh yeah, if OnDemand doesn’t put up a new episode of “Yo Gabba Gabb” soon, I might stab a fork in my eye.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, he wore his orange crocs! Why did I even ask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that Mario has signature crocs? They can market anything...

    ReplyDelete