Monday, February 21, 2011

Television

I am not one of those people who ever said that my children won't watch TV.  How could I be?  Brian and I are all about the TV all the time.  It is our companion.  For me, it has been this way for as long as I can remember (which with each day of my pregnancy is fewer and fewer days).  I don't think TV in and of itself is evil.  I do however think that once TV replaces other activities for children that it then needs to be controlled.  If Evan ever told me he would rather watch TV than go outside and play then TV would be something that would slowly disappear.

But for right now the TV allows me to get my chores down (the channel Sprout to be exact... genius who thought up this channel).  It allows me to distract a tantrum (which get more and more common each day... lucky me) and it allows me to sit down for almost 5 minutes at a time.

I do have to admit though, that sometimes I get a little worried about Evan's interest in the television.  When we come in from being out he immediately goes over and points to the TV.  If it's on a "grown-up" show he completely ignores the TV but if it's on Sprout (and specifically "The Wiggles")... this is what I see:




So, for right now I'm going to let TV have a prominent place in our home.  But I expect that each year it will become less and less important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment