Wednesday, October 26, 2011

It's Been One of Those Days...

Actually... it started last night.  Chloe was up twice (once for a feeding and once from coughing - apparently she needs to hit me over the head to tell me she needs a humidifier) and Evan was up... like 5 bazillion times.  I still am not sure why but he was up at least 4 times that I can verify... I also think there were some more times he was up but I didn't fully wake up so I can't count those as 100% true. 

And then he woke up at 5:00 am.  I was able to convince him to stay in bed (I have no idea if he slept or not) until 6:00 am and then we were downstairs watching Yo Gabba Gabba (which is the current obsession).  Chloe then decided to wake up at 6:20 am (almost an hour early).  I was pretty sure none of this was a good omen for my day and then this happened and I knew my day was not going to be good:

(Listen - don't hate me for the privacy box, there are creepy people out there.)

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the face of a little boy who decided he did NOT want to wear his pajamas or his diaper this morning.  I had no say in the matter as he didn't need my help getting any of it off.  He made himself naked and then informed me he would be using the potty.

And the potty was there (along with 4,000 other things as you can see in this picture) and he even sat on it once or twice... but he did not use it.  Thankfully, at one point he decided he was too cold and he put his pajamas back on.

So, once he put back on his pajamas and Chloe agreed to her morning nap (which was an hour earlier than usual since she woke up so early) I thought maybe... just maybe this day was salvageable.  Then Chloe only slept for an hour (she usually sleeps for 2 in the morning) and I was ready to stick Evan on the corner and see who would take him.  Both children really needed some sleep time but I had to be smart about it and figure out how to let them nap for just so long so that they would still nap in the afternoon (or I was going to start drinking at 2pm).

At 11:00 am, I opted for the tried and true technique known as "the walk."  I put them both in the double stroller and took off.  They wouldn't sleep... apparently the fresh air was too enticing.  I walked all around my little corner of the world and finally... at 11:45 am, they both nodded off (it was creepy... first Evan fell asleep and then within minutes Chloe went to sleep - I don't know if she was waiting for him or what).  The good news was that they fell asleep... the bad news is that the window was small for letting them sleep without putting the afternoon nap in jeopardy.  So I started the walk home.

I made it back to the house by 12:05 pm and had to take pictures of the sleeping babies before I woke them up (mostly because I needed to remind myself how cute they are when they sleep because they weren't cute when they were awake):

So, they woke up and I was reminded that there are some days you just get through.  Chloe only napped 1.5 hours in the afternoon (again, down from the 2 she usually does) and Evan took forever to fall asleep for his nap (because he kept calling for me) and therefore he had to be woken up (he can't sleep past 4:00 pm or he won't go down at night) and was even crankier (if that was possible).

It was one of those days that made me think of what my mother said once (and I'm paraphrasing), "There were days I was happy that you all couldn't tell time because you went to bed early."  Both of my kids were in bed and lights out by 7:00 pm (Chloe by 6:30 pm).  Usually this phenomenon doesn't happen until 7:30 pm.  And I might be in bed with lights out by 9:30 pm. 

But before I go to bed I'm going to ask the Universe to go easy on me tomorrow... or easier than today.  Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment