Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Happy Easter (Better Late Than Never)

For Easter we went to the zoo... along with a lot of other good Christian families (apparently this is the thing to do in Atlanta if you have children and the weather is good).  We have a membership so it's almost like you get to go for free (even though you have already paid).

We saw giant pandas, elephants, otters, and reptiles.  Brian took Monkey to see the naked mole rats.  I didn't go because the zoo people think I should be okay with leaving my stroller somewhere simply because it says "stroller parking".  Brian told me I'm "too Philly" to trust something like that but I can't believe that people in Atlanta are more trusting than Philly. And, I really didn't miss seeing the naked mole rats.

We spent about 2 hours there and then it was time to go home and pretend to put Monkey down for a nap (I say pretend because we - meaning Monkey only - have been slowly decreasing our daytime napping but we - meaning Mommy - haven't given up on the daytime naps so we - again, Mommy - still go through the motions).  I really wanted to see the kangaroos so we walked through the children's section on our way out.

Apparently it was too hot for the kangaroos (because somehow Atlanta gets hotter than the Australian Outback) and they were big lug-a-lugs lying around on the ground.  Supreme disappointment.  So, we kept moving.

Right around the entry to the children's section, I spied, out of the corner of my eye, a giant Easter Bunny (because of course the zoo would have one of their sad sad employees put on an Easter Bunny suit when it was 85 degrees outside).  I pointed him out to Brian (who somehow missed him) and Brian got super excited.  You see, if it weren't for Brian, Monkey's childhood pictures would consist of him eating paper towels or staring at his toes.  I forget about these iconic pictures that children are supposed to have.  Brian was the one who pushed to get Evan's picture with Santa and Brian was the one who wanted Evan to have a picture with the Easter Bunny.

I had little to no expectations due to Evan's lack of interaction with Santa:


And because of the little girl who ran away like a turtle from the Easter Bunny.  What?  Huh?  Well, a little girl was in an umbrella stroller (she was probably around 2 or 3 but I'm super bad with ages).  Her mother placed her next to the Easter Bunny while still in her stroller.  The girl took one look at the giant bunny, started to freak out, pushed herself forward so that her feet were on the ground and the stroller on her back and started to run away, like a turtle, from the Easter Bunny. 

So, Brian held Monkey while I took the pictures.  Brian walked slowly over, stood next to the bunny, I got ready with the camera and... my son immediately grabbed on to the bunny. 

I took another shot, trying to get him to look at me, but he was enthralled.

I think if we had waited any longer he would have tried to put that bunny in his mouth.

Evan 2 - Bunny 0

Hope you all had a fabulous Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment