Monday, October 1, 2012

Some Unrelated Items

Item #1 - It Happened Again

Seriously, you would think I'd learn.  That somehow after each situation I would be better prepared for the next time.  But it isn't true.  For some things I just remain completely clueless and it bites me in the butt each time.

For instance, on Saturday afternoon we all traipsed to downtown Rockville for the opening of Dawson's Market.  It's this new grocery store that has been hyped for some time.  It's supposed to be this local market (local = within 100 miles) that offers natural and organic products.  The way they hyped it I was envisioning the market as what would happen if Trader Joe's and Whole Foods has a baby but with clientele that would never be caught dead at Whole Foods.  Sadly, it was basically just another Whole Foods.  I was underwhelmed but I'm going to try and withhold final judgment until I stop in a few times in the coming weeks once the "grand opening" hoo-haw settles down.

Anyway, on to the point of this item.  After the market we decided to walk around for a little bit (read: walk around to make the children tired for an easy and early bedtime) and of course... what do we come across:


Yes ladies and gentlemen, the freakin' fountain.  Chloe, clearly remembering how cold she got, decided she wanted to play in it but only by putting her hands in the water.  Instead she spent most of her time throwing away trash and picking flowers:


The boy... well, take a look at this:


He got soaking wet to the point where we had to leave, I stripped him down (no extra clothes this time), and had to wrap him in the cardigan I was wearing.  And then he declared that he had a blast.  I declared I'm not going downtown again until I receive notice that the fountain has been shut down for good.

Item #2: Medication is Important

Give me a minute for a Public Service Announcement.  If you are diagnosed with a life-long condition and you are given medication to counteract this condition then you should take the medication.  When we moved to MD I was focused on getting a pediatrician, unpacking, figuring out our insurance, blah blah blah and then it had been 4 months since I'd taken my thyroid medicine.  And, I was feeling it. 

In case you aren't thyroid savvy, here are some side effects of hypothyroidism:
  • Weight gain (check)
  • Fatigue (check)
  • Hair Loss/Thinning (check)
  • Dry Skin (check)
  • Muscle Fatigue (check)
  • Depression/Altered Moods (check)
  • Cognitive Disabilities (hmm... ask Brian on this one but quite possibly a check)
So, I found a doctor, she did a blood test, called me with the news that I basically have zero thyroid hormone in my system, and I'm back on my meds. 

Item #3: Disney

Brian's parents are sponsoring a trip for us to Disney so we will be meeting up with them in Orlando next week.  I tell you this so that:
  1. You know where I've gone when there are no blogs,
  2. You can sit around and daydream about all the fabulous blog posts I'll write about Disney (which will probably only be 1 or 2 because let's be honest, I'm never good at writing about a vacation even though I always mean to), and
  3. You'll be supremely jealous that I'll be in Disney and you'll be at work... or at the grocery store... or somewhere that isn't Disney.
Item #4: Cuteness

Here are some pictures I keep meaning to share with you all but haven't:

The Artist At Work (look at that concentration)

This is both Madam Mischief at work and a girl who is not willing to share her things

Chloe is WAY in to the trucks in a way her brother has not been as of yet.  But, I bet if you put strings on that dump truck he'd be all over it and play it like a harp.

I just love the light in this photo.  And this is pretty much how Evan looks at home all the time.  He is usually wearing a shirt or shorts... but rarely both.

I randomly snapped this photo this morning as Chloe was standing next to my unmade bed, wearing the apron I make Evan wear when he paints, sucking on her pacifier, trying to reach a cat who wanted nothing to do with her.  And, according to Brian, this captures Chloe's essence (I totally agree).  She is sweetness and fun and mischief and an old soul all wrapped in a bundle of Chloe.

No comments:

Post a Comment